Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 177 - 1/22/12

Happy Chinese New Year!  We had our first official house party since the work finished.  My husband cleaned my entire basement!  It was crazy.  He ran up and down the stairs about a hundred times moving things into the garage, our new storage area, etc.


We tested our smoke alarms by accident...  :)  I tried to start a fire in the basement fireplace, but something was up either with the flue or the wood and it got really smoky.  The basement smoke alarm went off, which set off the smoke alarms everywhere else in the house.  We opened up a couple windows and cleared things out, but it made for an interesting beginning to the festivities. 

My kitchen got a major workout - my mom taught me how to make lo mein (Chinese noodles) over the phone and it worked out really well!  We had dumplings, Korean beef (compliments of our friends), cookies and other Asian desserts (the good ones), oranges (cuz they're lucky), and Asian fruit salad with lychee and Mandarin oranges.  I discovered that steaming things is actually ridiculously easy.  :)


Set up the little round table in our "breakfast nook" and taught everyone how to play mah jong.  We had one person who knew how already, two people who knew the Jewish way of playing, and a couple of newbies.  So fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment